Re: flags, beams and stem length in forced directions - output improveme

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: flags, beams and stem length in forced directions - output improvement
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:16:15 +0100

> On 1/22/11 1:37 AM, "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>> it seems that no matter what i do inside the metafont files in mf
>> directory, the changes to the font are not made

2011/1/22 Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:
> Perhaps there are missing dependencies in the makefiles.  Try to
> remove the relevant PFB files to force a run of fontforge.  This
> should automatically build the OTF files also.

Thank you all very much for the advice! Now i can handle this painlessly.

>> - i was unable to find where the point in which flag is attached to
>> the stem is determined.
>
> It's not explicitly specified.  Horizontally, it is determined by the
> metric box of the flag.  Vertically, the flag's stem always has the
> height of a multiple of the space between two staff lines.  To be more
> precise, if the flag's glyph name is uN or dN, the flag stem length is
> N-2 staff line spaces.

What i meant is where to find the place which makes flagged stems in
forced directions longer than unflagged ones (i.e. here the first note
gets a longer stem than the second note: \clef treble \voiceOne c'''8
c'''4 ). I supposed that this happens when the flag is attached to the
stem, but eventually i found out that lines 346-349 of stem.cc are
responsible for this :)
Now i'm almost done. However i still don't know how to attach
different versions of flags to the stems.
For example i've created new flag u4short, and i want to tell LilyPond
to use this new flag for stems shorter than 3 staff spaces (and normal
flag for longer stems). How can i do this? I searched for "flags.u4"
and "u4" in source files and found results only in font source
files...
And there is one more thing - is it a bug in font sources? When i change
total_depth# = 3.5 staff_space# - blot_diameter# / 2;
total_depth# = 3 staff_space# - blot_diameter# / 2;
(in definition of u4 flag, line 163 of feta-flags.mf), i get the
output in attachment. I've tried other values, and:
2.95, 3, 3.1 are bugged
2,9, 3.05, 3.15 are not bugged
What do you think about it?

cheers,