Re: Issue 1228: 5-month-old PATCH

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Issue 1228: 5-month-old PATCH
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 20:59:11 +0000

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 01:51:26PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> On 1/22/11 1:32 PM, "James Lowe" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I was just going to add it as a *.ly file in the ly/ dir. Then was going
> > to ask how to add the \function to files in the source so that it could be
> > called.
>
> Well, I'm sorry that I overwhelmed you with my answer.  We could do it with
> a .ly file.

As a (possibly temporary) solution -- or even just as a "first
draft of a patch" -- how about this:
1. add a file containing the scheme functions.  Call it
ly/merge-functions.ly
2. add the property definitions to ly/property-init.ly
(the mergeRestsOn, mergeRestsOff, mergeRests stuff)
3. add   \include merge-functions.ly   to propert-init.ly
4. send patch for review+comment.

One of those comments will be "don't create merge-functions.ly;
that shoudl be in the scm directory".  But you know what?  That's
fine.  The first draft doesn't need to be perfect.  In fact, the
second draft need not come from you -- somebody like Keith or Mike
might immediately jump and say "don't worry about it; I can move
those functions into the right scm/ file in my sleep".  Or maybe,
once you've isolated that part of the problem, you'll see how it
could be done by yourself, and it's not as hard as you think it
is.

Any time that you can isolate (or narrow down) a problem, it's a
step forward.

Cheers,
- Graham