Re: Issue 1228: 5-month-old PATCH

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Issue 1228: 5-month-old PATCH
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 20:32:49 +0000

Hello,

-----Original Message-----
From: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 13:16:50 -0700
To: James Lowe <address@hidden>, Graham Percival
<address@hidden>
Cc: lilypond-devel <address@hidden>

>On 1/22/11 12:40 PM, "James Lowe" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> OK. I'll have a go.
>>
>> Can I just clarify one thing? This particular file/edit uses the *.ily
>> 'suffix'. Is this 'special' or just an older/another syntax as I cannot
>> find any *ily files in my current source.
>
>.ily was proposed as a .ly file that was intended only to be included.  I
>don't know that it ever got traction.
>
>The way to get it into the distribution is probably not as a .ily file.
>
>Probably, we want to create a new file scm/measure-combine.scm that will
>contain the scheme functions used.  The scheme functions that should be
>callable by other modules (e.g. from LilyPond code) need to be defined
>using
>define-public, instead of define.  That means merge-rests-on-positioning
>and
>merge-multimeasure-rests-on-Y-offset.

Ah...now we're into territory that is starting to get blurry for me.

I was just going to add it as a *.ly file in the ly/ dir. Then was going
to ask how to add the \function to files in the source so that it could be
called.

Carl, I know you'd help me, but it would probably be too much of your time
to hand-hold me to add as a scheme function and add entries to the define
files etc.

I'm willing to 'have a bash', but I think yours (and other dev's times)
could be much better spent.

I'll look (for now) at updating the LSR - that's more in my capability and
at least gets the functionality out there for other users.

This is probably better handled by Wilbert himself or someone else who
wants (and has the nous) to.

Oh well.

James