Re: MIDI remapping

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: MIDI remapping
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 15:02:06 +0000

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:34:29AM +0000, c.m.bryan wrote:
> I am wondering if there is a way to hack the source to change the midi
> pitch values which are output when it renders.  I want to do this so
> that I can remap those values to arbitrary frequencies for microtonal
> playback in a retunable software synth like puredata.

No.  The MIDI standard does not support fractional values.  You
could export the pitches+durations as text output using the event
listener code.
(search the mailing list archives for this; the last I saw of it
was Reinhold or Han-Wen, from a month or two ago.  Unfortunately
nobody's added this to LSR yet.  :(

> For example, say I wanted to remap the following note names:
> c cis des d

Amusingly, my lab (Center for Music Technology at the University
of Glasgow) recently did a few projects with 19-ET.  That was
before I arrived, though, so I've only heard bits and pieces of
it.  If you google for "Graham Hair" or "rosegarden codicil" or
the lab name, you can find more info.

I'm actually vaguely involved in porting their old rosegarden
branch into the new version.  The main focus of that branch is a
pitch tracker for 19-tone ET, but they added a bit to the basic
infrastructure of rosegarden.  We're getting ready to merge this
with the main trunk, but if you're impatient you could check out
the rosegarden "glasgow 2009 pitch tracker" branch.

> or whatever.  It really doesn't matter, since pd can map those to any
> frequency I like!  All I really need is to set discrete values for
> *each* accidental (no enharmonic equivalents) and 'white notes'.
> Octave doubling is fine.

If you're playing this in pd, then maybe a text file created from
the event listener would be the best bet.

Cheers,
- Graham