Re: MIDI remapping

From: Bernard Hurley
Subject: Re: MIDI remapping
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 12:09:26 +0000

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:34:29AM +0000, c.m.bryan wrote:
> Hi, I have an interesting question.  I know lilypond is not really
> meant for playback.  HOWEVER :)
>
> I am wondering if there is a way to hack the source to change the midi
> pitch values which are output when it renders.  I want to do this so
> that I can remap those values to arbitrary frequencies for microtonal
> playback in a retunable software synth like puredata.
>
> For example, say I wanted to remap the following note names:
> c cis des d
> so that when it is compiled, the following midi pitch values will be written:
> 60 61 62 63
> or perhaps:
> 60 60.67 61.33 62

Personally I would like lily to have much more sophisicated midi capabilities.

For instance It would be nice if markup could be tied to program change events
so, for instance, markup like "pizz" could not only be printed in the score but
also change the midi instrument.
It would also be nice if things like staccatto were renereabl in midi, and,
perhaps "tunable".

> or whatever.  It really doesn't matter, since pd can map
those to any
> frequency I like!  All I really need is to set discrete values for
> *each* accidental (no enharmonic equivalents) and 'white notes'.
> Octave doubling is fine.
>
> I don't know anything about pd's internals, but I have some rusty
> programming knowledge.  I would just like to know if such a thing
> would be possible, and if so, where I should start looking.  Thanks so
> much!

I don't think this can be done from lily at the moment. I too have some rusty
programming knowledge.

In the mid 80's I wrote some Z80 assembler code to control a midi interface. So
I would be quite interested in a re-write of the lily midi code. But I am not
sure how many people would be interested.

/Bernard