Re: Code review/discussion time again.

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Code review/discussion time again.
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:59:13 +0000

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 08:55:20AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Well, given my apparent discrepance between coding and social
> interaction skills, the resulting dearth of actually useful advice and
> other things (recently a patch of mine was rejected that actually would
> have brought some oversights in line with the rest), I think that it
> might be the smoothest course of action if I just had commit access
> myself.

The rejected patch is unfortunate, but in the near future I think
we'll continue to see good things sometimes being rejected.  Most
developers (including Carl) only know bits and pieces of the
architecture, so a lot of patches won't be understood.

I think it's good to be cautious about this, though -- it would
suck if we applied something because "it looks ok", but then
discover 3 months later that it was bad.

This is why it's so important that we have more people trying
things out, asking questions, and (eventually) getting answers.
It would be nice to have more discussion about these issues (even
if the developers don't know precisely what's happening, trying to
talk through the problem can't hurt!), but at the moment there are
very few developers.  Hopefully in a few weeks / months we'll have
reached a "critical mass", wherein future patches can be examined
and discussed by a few people.

Cheers,
- Graham