Re: Code review/discussion time again.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Code review/discussion time again.
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:52:34 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/19/09 5:20 PM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> I have no idea what I am doing here.  In particular not with the
>> \override, and the set-object-property!.  Can somebody explain to me
>> just what data structures I happen to manipulate, and how a user is
>> actually _supposed_ to be mangling them?
>>

>>    \override Staff.TextScript #'accordion #'symbol = #$accordion
>
> I have no idea what you're trying to do here.

Neither do I, as I said.  Different Staffs can use different types of
accordion definitions.  So I make a command for setting the type of
accordion symbol to use that works staff-local.

Now markup objects seemingly have their properties stuck in TextScript,
and I poke TextScript with a stick until it appears to do what I want.
Since I have no idea what I am doing, the question is whether this is a
good idea.

> TextScript is a layout object that has certain properties.  You can
> find out about the standard settings and the interfaces in the
> internals reference, at 3.1.111.

Yes, but that is no fun since I need _new_ internals local to the staff.

> As far as I can see, there is no interface that has an 'accordion
> property, so this \override doesn't make much sense.
>
> However, because there is no error given when an undefined property is
> set, the \override will be added to the context anyway.

There would be a warning given.  I squelch the warning with

#(set-object-property! 'accordion 'backend-type? list?)

I have no idea why I do this: this basically just mimics a side-effect
from Lilypond-internal code working off internal property tables that is
not callable from user namespace.

It is not good code to poke internals like that, but I don't see a user
accessible interface for doing the equivalent.

> If you are just creating a markup for accordion, the grob is a
> TextScript object, and nothing more.
>
> If you want to create accordion grobs (which will included a markup
> for display, plus other stuff happening in the music), then you will
> need to create an accordion engraver.

I am not sure yet about just what I will need to create for what
particular task.  I am trying to solve subtasks, even if it means my
level of understanding forces me to take a crowbar.  But a working
example is a good way of asking people how things should be done
properly.  Or at least that was the idea.