Re: development on windows

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: development on windows
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 18:13:04 -0700

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 07:52:13PM -0500, Jonathan Kulp wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
>> Tim, have you used VMware before?  This should allow you to
>> compile LilyPond inside a virtual machine.  I'm not certain what
>> the best way is to transfer the iso from Jonathan to you, though.
>
> Once it's ready maybe I can create a torrent?  I've never done that
> before but it's probably the best way to transfer it.

Torrents are not magic.  If you want to get it to Tim, then this
will actually result in transfering *more* than the original 853
megs.

A torrent would make sense if there were 10 or more people wanting
the same iso, provided that they were all going to be online at
the same time.  I can't imagine us having 10 windows C++
developers, let alone them all wanting to download it at exactly
the same time.

> I have control of a server in my office at school, but I don't
> feel comfortable uploading a gigantic file to it--it's a
> mission-critical server handling my online music appreciation
> class.

Quite understandable.

> Probably a torrent is the way to go, or else snail mail. :)

I suppose we could do a combination of snail mail + torrent --
that way, Tim would only need to download 153 megs, instead of 853
megs.  That's still a lot, though.  :(

I'm less and less optimistic about this route.  Oh, wait -- what
happens if you bzip2 the iso?  That could potentially save a big
chunk.

Cheers,
- Graham