Re: GDP: examples consistency

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: GDP: examples consistency
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:21:07 +0200

Le 29.06.2008 14:27, Graham Percival disait :
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:10:53 +0200
Jean-Charles Malahieude wrote:

First of all I must admit that I am more than a bit lazy, and quite nitpicking...

Fixing nits is an important part of GDP, so that's fine.

I would
have liked not to encounter twice (or more) the same assertion like:

#. Documentation/user/fundamental.itely:1012 (comment)
msgid "Set stems, etc, down"
          ^             ^^
vs.
#. Documentation/user/fundamental.itely:1074 (comment)
msgid "set stems, etc down"
          ^             ^

In this case, I think it's ok.  We simply cannot assume that
readers will understand material in the LM in the order it's
presented to them, so a certain amount of re-iteration is ok.
(This is for the LM only; any such repetition in the NR should be
fixed.)

The fact is that, due to spelling matter, this same succession of terms
is detected as TWO different strings, even though it is the very same
assertion. This is why I much more appreciate things like:

#. Documentation/user/fundamental.itely:1187 (variable)
#. Documentation/user/fundamental.itely:2497 (variable)
#. Documentation/user/tweaks.itely:3137 (variable)
#. Documentation/user/simultaneous.itely:541 (variable)
msgid "global"
msgstr "global"

#. Documentation/user/fundamental.itely:2274 (variable)
msgid "sopranoMusic"
vs.
#. Documentation/user/fundamental.itely:1239 (variable)
#. Documentation/user/tweaks.itely:3138 (variable)
msgid "SopMusic"

I agree; the second one should be written out fully.  Although I hope
that you're not translating those strings... I mean, really!  If a
user can't understand
sopranoMusic
then they have no hope of understanding 90% of the standard
lilypond commands.

That one is just an example...

In other words, I would like that arises a "good practice" in documenting things, which would be that the one who deals with a specific section adopts a single spelling and/or syntax for each equivalent assertion.

That would be nice, but checking these details is really hard to
do in one's own work.  Creating a first public draft of a section
involves between 10 to 40 hours of work.  I don't want to add more
to that.

As a matter of fact, I was not checking such details, but reviewing
/Documentation/po/fr.po and wondering about the growing amount of
untranslated strings on the lilypond/translation branch.

Instead, please point out such issues if you find any in a
"finished" or "public draft" section.  The finished ones are:
- LM 2 Tutorial
- NR 1.1 Pitches
- NR 1.7 Editorial

Public draft is:
- NR 1.5 Simultaneous

If you haven't done the finished sections yet, you might want to
stop work on Fundamental and work on those first.  That said,
I don't know how the French translation team is organized.

Cheers,
- Graham

I might review these sections over the coming week, and then make a
commit per file if you don't mind.

Cheers
Jean-Charles

(2nd post, for everybody)