Re: GDP: examples consistency

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: examples consistency
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 05:27:57 -0700

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:10:53 +0200
Jean-Charles Malahieude <address@hidden> wrote:

> First of all I must admit that I al more than a bit lazy, and quite
> nitpicking...

Fixing nits is an important part of GDP, so that's fine.

> I would
> have liked not to encounter twice (or more) the same assertion like:
>
> #. Documentation/user/fundamental.itely:1012 (comment)
> msgid "Set stems, etc, down"
> vs.
> #. Documentation/user/fundamental.itely:1074 (comment)
> msgid "set stems, etc down"

In this case, I think it's ok.  We simply cannot assume that
readers will understand material in the LM in the order it's
presented to them, so a certain amount of re-iteration is ok.
(This is for the LM only; any such repetition in the NR should be
fixed.)

> #. Documentation/user/fundamental.itely:2274 (variable)
> msgid "sopranoMusic"
> vs.
> #. Documentation/user/fundamental.itely:1239 (variable)
> #. Documentation/user/tweaks.itely:3138 (variable)
> msgid "SopMusic"

I agree; the second one should be written out fully.  Although I hope
that you're not translating those strings... I mean, really!  If a
user can't understand
sopranoMusic
then they have no hope of understanding 90% of the standard
lilypond commands.

> In other words, I would like that arises a "good practice" in
> documenting things, which would be that the one who deals with a
> specific section adopts a single spelling and/or syntax for each
> equivalent assertion.

That would be nice, but checking these details is really hard to
do in one's own work.  Creating a first public draft of a section
involves between 10 to 40 hours of work.  I don't want to add more
to that.

Instead, please point out such issues if you find any in a
"finished" or "public draft" section.  The finished ones are:
- LM 2 Tutorial
- NR 1.1 Pitches
- NR 1.7 Editorial

Public draft is:
- NR 1.5 Simultaneous

If you haven't done the finished sections yet, you might want to
stop work on Fundamental and work on those first.  That said,
I don't know how the French translation team is organized.

Cheers,
- Graham