Re: New predefined command

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: New predefined command
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:26:47 -0700

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:02:11 -0700
"Patrick McCarty" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Trevor Daniels
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Graham Percival wrote Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:14 AM
> >
> >> What about
> >>  \arpeggioParenOn
> >>  \arpeggioParenOff
> >> ?
> >
> > On/Off work well when there are just two possible states,
> > but here we have the default, bracket and parenthesis
> > states, so I don't like them here.
>
> Actually, there are currently five possible states: default, up, down,
> bracket, and parenthesis.  So we need to find a solution that will
> take everything into account.
>
> How about a compromise? -- Keep \arpeggioNeutral, but only use it to
> revert \arpeggioUp and \arpeggioDown.  Then use \..Up and \..Down
> commands for the bracket and parenthesis states:
>
> \arpeggioUp
> \arpeggioDown
> \arpeggioNeutral
> \arpeggioBracketOn
> \arpeggioBracketOff
> \arpeggioParenOn
> \arpeggioParenOff
>
> How does this look?

The confusion arises because \*Up, \*Down, \*Neutral are generally
used for directions -- ie above or below the staff.  There's two
decisions to make:

1.  Should we re-use these direction-commands to produce
non-direction symbols?  I would say no.

2.  If not, how do we indicate the 5 states listed above?
\arpeggioNormal
\arpeggioPointUp
\arpeggioPointDown
\arpeggioBracket
\arpeggioParenthesis

I'm not wild about the second and third names... but then again,
typing "Point" isn't such a big deal, and these commands aren't
used too often anyway.  I think the corresponding reduction in
confusion is worth it.

Cheers,
- Graham