Re: DOS-based Windows users, please test

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: DOS-based Windows users, please test
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:11:46 +0200

Paul Scott writes:

> A side point is that the PATH  environment should be modified by the
> install so that lilypond can be found from the command line (since MS
> has such a weak filesystem hierarchy).

That would only be for users who run lilypond from the command line;
they will know how to do that (or use Cygwin anyway?).

> I will continue working on the batch file.

It would be nice to get lilypond to produce PDFs, even if that means
using a bat wrapper, so that we may shed some more light in this
matter.  I would much rather get identification of the problem (ie,
use a fake LILYPOND_VERBOSE, and a fake gs.bat that prints the value
of the needed environment variables that lilypond sets.)

Note that versions until 2.5.28-1 (from http://lilypond.org/mingw/)
used bat wrappers.  It proved however, that noone could get the
quoting (the double quotes) right for all flavours of windows.  For
that and out of space errors, we decided not to use bat wrappers
anymore.  We could use a guile wrapper, if need must be.

Jan.