Re: W98SE PDF's successful: was Re: DOS-based Windows users, please test

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: W98SE PDF's successful: was Re: DOS-based Windows users, please test
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:54:36 +0200

Paul Scott writes:

> Ok.  Going back to our previous attempt.  I have attached a batch file
> which corrects the GS_LIB problem and successfully creates a PDF on MS
> Windows 98SE.

That is great!  What I'd like to know is why

> set lily=c:\progra~1\lilypond\usr
> set GS_LIB=%lily%\share\gs\lib
> set GS_FONTPATH=c:\windows\fonts
> %lily%\bin\gs

these settings are necessary.  If you call lilypond simple.ly from
this batch file, instead of gs, does lilypond generate PDFs too?

How it works on XP, and what lilypond does, is set these variables
before calling GS.  You might be able to see what lilypond sets these
to, by doing

   set LILYPOND_VERBOSE=1
   lilypond simple.ly

To test this, do not set GS_LIB or GS_FONTPATH.  The output may go
into the nul$ file.  I would expect lilypond to set just these
variables, but using the full, expanded name.

Just maybe there is a problem with directories with spaces in them.
It would also be nice to know if you can somehow manage to get your
batch solution to work using full names

  set lily="c:\program files\lilypond\usr"
  set GS_LIB=%lily%\share\gs\lib
  ..

I've got no idea where/how to use double quotes...

Jan.