Re: DOS-based Windows users, please test

From: Brynne and Russ Jorgensen
Subject: Re: DOS-based Windows users, please test
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:39:23 -0600

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
Paul Scott writes:

Please send failure/success reports for your flavour of windows here.

MS Windows 98SE using the 2.6.2-1 upgrade:

Double-clicking on the .ly file or right-clicking and choosing
"Generate PDF"
No PDF.
A new file - nul$ which contains "GNU LilyPond 2.6.1

Executing <path-to-lilypond>\lilypond --pdf test2.ly from a DOS prompt
seems to give the same result.

Thanks for testing.  Too bad it doesn't work.  Someone will have to
put some effort into windows 98.  I'm really wondering if this works
on windows me...

Jan.

Jan,

Sorry I didn't get this tested sooner, but I have now tried it, and I get the same results as Paul - I get no PDF file (I do get a PS file), but I do get a new file called 'nul$' that contains "GNU LilyPond 2.6.1". Sigh.

I still haven't been able to successfully build lilypond, so I'm a bit hamstrung on testing other possibilities (I kept getting hung up on needing cygwin version of a tool - like python - at one point, but a pure win32 version at other points. I'm now switching to mingw to see if that helps...).

I know there is a solution to win-me because I'm using a workaround that actually does produce PDF files. The question is how elegant or kludgy the solution ends up being. My work-around is to use cygwin bash to run a shell script that runs lilypond.exe with stdout redirected to a file. So, since it didn't work to have lilypond redirect its own stdout, we might end up writing a little front-end program that does the redirection and then spawns lilypond.

Sorry again for not getting this tested sooner. I'll let you know if/when I am able to build lilypond and experiment with other solutions...

        -Russ