Re: [Jailkit-users] How to jail Opera or Firefox...?

From: Hubert Havel
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] How to jail Opera or Firefox...?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:11:07 +0000

Hi Olivier,

The /etc/resolv.conf is there. The problem is that somehow the chrooted Opera cannot see the internet connection. Here is the messages from Opera when I tried to access
www.msn.com or a numeric IP address:

     "Network problem

You tried to access the address http://www.msn.com/, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page. Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other applications that rely on the
     same   connection are working.
Check that the setup of any Internet security software is correct and does not interfere with ordinary
     Web browsing.
If you are behind a firewall on a Local Area Network and think this may be causing problems, talk to
     your systems administrator.
Try pressing the F12 key on your keyboard and disabling proxy servers, unless you know that you are required to use a proxy to connect to the Internet. Reload the page."

I thought, perhaps, I might have missed a few sockets that Opera uses to connect to the internet (that the chrooted Kinternet provides), so I basically mount --bind a few directories to into the /home/chroot path to see if the chrooted Opera "sees" the internet, but unfortunately that also
did not work. Here is the list of directores that I mount --bind ...

mount --bind /proc /home/chroot/proc
mount --bind /dev /home/chroot/dev
mount --bind /lib/modules /home/chroot/lib/modules
mount --bind /sys /home/chroot/sys
mount --bind /tmp /home/choot/tmp

I know that looks excessive. My strategy was to see if that works, and if it does, I can begin to scale back the mount --bind operations one at a time until it fails. That way, I can identify the directory that is needed for the chrooted Opera to work. But even with that many mount --bind directories,
the chrooted Opera still cannot see the internet connection.

I know that the chrooted kinternet was able to connect to the internet because the Opera running
OUTSIDE of chroot works when the chrooted kinterent is turned-on.

The other possibility is that the KDE DCOPServer is not running inside the chroot. DCOPServer is responsible for inter-process communication. Before moving the DCOPServer into chroot,
I better check with you to make sure I am heading in right direction first.

Just how did you get your Opera or Firefox to connect to the internet from inside the chrooted
environment? I am desperate :-).

Many Thanks!!
Hubert.