Re: [Jailkit-users] How to jail Opera or Firefox...?

From: Hubert Havel
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] How to jail Opera or Firefox...?
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:37:29 +0000

Hi Olivier,

I finally got Kinternet working inside chroot. KInternet get its internet info from the smpppd socket in /var/run/smpppd/control. I simply did a "mount /var/run/smpppd /chroot/var/run/smpppd -o bind". Kinternet can now detect WiFi internet connections using this smpppd socket. I invoke Kinternet
by invoking  the command    "ssh -X address@hidden /opt/kde3/bin/kinternet"

I also have Opera running inside chroot. I can invoke it by a similar ssh command:
           "ssh -X address@hidden /usr/bin/opera"

The problem is that the Opera running inside chroot cannot connect to the internet, or perhaps it cannot detect the kinternet running inside chroot? However, when I run Opera outside chroot Opera can connect to the internet (through the kinternet running inside the chroot!) and I can surf normally. What is happening? When I run kinternet inside chroot why is it that Opera running outside the chroot can connect to the internet and if I run Opera inside the chroot
it cannot?!  I am running SuSE 10.1

   Once again, thank you for your help!!

Hubert.