Re: [Jailkit-users] How to jail Opera or Firefox...?

From: Hubert Havel
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] How to jail Opera or Firefox...?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:46:31 +0000

Hi Olivier,

  Thank you for your directions.
  Just to be sure that I am taking the correct approach to jail firefox;
  this is a rough outline on how I envision this can be safely
  implemented using Jailkit:

  After creating a jailed user account (e.g. jane), and have
  jailed the following modules (xauth, firefox, ssh...) along
  with their associated libraries and font files under /home/chroot:

  I would then open an unjailed user shell and type the following
  sequence of commands to invoke jailed firefox?

  su root
  jk_chrootlaunch -j /home/chroot -u jane -g users -x \
  /home/chroot/usr/bin/ssh -- -X -v address@hidden

  (Question 1: Is it correct to execute SSH from same jailed user (jane)
  account to the same account (jane) on the same machine (localhost)?

  (Question 2: A SSH window would pop up at this point and I would
  type the commands below into this SSH window?)

  /home/chroot/usr/bin/firefox

  (Question 3: In additional to xauth, firefox and ssh modules, is
  there a networking module (e.g. kinternet) that I would need
  to jail so that Firefox would be able to access the internet from
  the jail?)

  Thanks. Hubert.