Re: read mail in mbox files

From: Glyn Millington
Subject: Re: read mail in mbox files
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 18:54:55 +0000

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:51:54 +0100, Richard wrote:
>>
>>> Why is this a "spool" directory?
>>
>>> The word "spool" is throwing me. I thought "spool" meant it was
>>> spooled to you and then stored in a backend .. like nnml.
>> A "(news)spool" in news-related terms is usually where the articles
>> are stored in a newsserver (the meaning used here).
>> A mail-spool is usually where mail is stored locally until the user
>> fetches it (/var/mail or /var/spool/mail).
>> In the documentation nnml is described as the backend that most
>> closely resembles a newsspool, so that is probably where the choice
>> of word comes from. And perhaps also some of the confusion.
>
> I think in the context it's incorrect but wouldnt put my mortgage on
> it ...
>
> nnml-directory is not a spool really : the var/spool source is.
>
> And checking values now, I see, and amazingly confusing, that
>
> ,----
> | Its value is "~/.emacs.d/Mail/archive"
> `----
>
> How I dont know as I set
>
>   (setq nnml-directory "~/Mail")
>
> bah ;) I need to start all over again ...

Hi Richard,

Here's a snip from my .gnus file.  It may be totally irrelevant, becasue
I have een smewhat confused by this discussion!! - but it may help ;-)

;,----
;| MAIL SETTINGS AND MAIL SORTING ---------------------------------------------
;`----

; nnml is, as you know a mail backend - the nnml (I wonder if nnml stand
; for Not NorMaL) format is what results when gnus grabs mail from the
; two mail sources below. I use getmail to dump all my mail into
; /home/glyn/Mail/inbox; system mail goes to /var/spool/mail/glyn.  gnus
; grabs mail from both sources, I assume transmogrifies it by elisp-magic
; into nnml format, and then shoves it through my fancy-splitting
; set-up. (Just a fraction of that here!) I read the mail from the groups
; created by the fancy splitting - SLACKLIST, FREEBSD, FVWM etc etc

(setq
       gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
       mail-sources '((file :path "/home/glyn/Mail/inbox")
                      (file :path "/var/spool/mail/glyn")))

(setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy
        nnmail-split-fancy
      '(|

; system mail from Charlie Root
       (from ".*root@millingtons.org" "SYSTEM")
; diary entries
       ("Subject"  ".*Diary" "DIARY")

; Spam rejection

;       ("Subject"  ".*" "spam")
        ("Subject"  ".*lottery" "spam")
        ("Subject"  ".*LOTTERY" "spam")
        ("Subject"  ".*BEQUEST" "spam")
        ("Subject"  ".*BALLOT" "spam")
        ("Subject"  ".*NatWest" "spam")
        ("Subject"  ".*OFFICE" "spam")
        ("Subject"  ".*inches" "spam")
        ("Subject"  ".*FUND" "spam")

; linux etc Mailing lists.
        (any  ".*slackware-ot" "SLACKLIST")
        (any ".*slackware@mailman.*" "SLACKLIST")
        (any ".*pkg-annc-request.*" "SLACKLIST")
        (any ".*security@slackware.com" "SLACKLIST")
        ; (any ".*freebsd.*" "FREEBSD")
        (any ".*FreshPorts.org" "FREEBSD")
        (any ".*fvwm\.org" "FVWM")