Re: read mail in mbox files

From: ernest
Subject: Re: read mail in mbox files
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:38:11 -0800 (PST)

On 18 Gen, 15:48, pmli...@free.fr (Peter Münster) wrote:
> ernest <nfdi...@gmail.com> writes:
> > If I understand correctly, this will copy the "spool" files in ~/.mail
> > to ~/Mail, and leave everything in ~/.mail unchanged. This is not
> > exactly what I wanted though.
>
> > The idea is that mbox being an open format one would say it
> > should be possible to use the same mailboxes with different MUAs,
> > for instance mutt and gnus, at the same time (maybe not
> > simultaneously, ok, but you get the idea). In theory it should be
> > easy, but in practice it is not.
>
> No problem if you don't use the 2 MUAs simultaneously and you don't use
> the incoming spools. The only problem with Gnus is the locking, that's
> why it uses some "movemail" program that locks correctly and saves the
> incoming email somewhere at $HOME.
>
> At least 2 options:
>
> 1.)
> /var/mail/user   ->   ~/.mail/*.spool  with procmail
> ~/.mail/*.spool  ->   ~/Mail/*         with Gnus
> Managing ~/Mail/* with Gnus or mutt, but not at the same time.
>
> 2.) Use maildir: no locking problems.
> /var/mail/user   ->   ~/Mail/...       with procmail
> Managing ~/Mail/... with Gnus or mutt, or both at the same time!

Ah, I think I finally got it!
First, I switched to maildir. Then I put this in .gnus.el:

(setq gnus-select-method        '(nnnil ""))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnmaildir "" (directory "~/Mail/"))))

Started gnus, hit L, and the maildir folders appeared right there.
Still need some adjustments, but I'm definitely on the right track
:)
Thanks to everyone.

Cheers,
Ernest