Re: Reply to self behavior

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Reply to self behavior
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 12:03:13 +0100

> On Wed, Dec 22 2010, Yuri D'Elia wrote:
>
>> Aaand, while I'm at it: is there a hook that is called whenever a backend
>> receives new mail? I'm trying to integrate emacs with the "awesome"
>> window manager. gnus-biff and gnus-notify seem to check every group
>> manually - I was looking for something more straightforward.
>
> ,----[ <f1> v nnmail-prepare-save-mail-hook RET ]
> | nnmail-prepare-save-mail-hook is a variable defined in `nnmail.el'.
> | Its value is
> | (rs-gnus-notify-have-new-mail)
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Hook called before saving mail.
> `----
>
> Bye, Reiner.

This is pretty clunky compared to using something like Mail
Notification (Gnome) since it requires Gnus to fetch the mail in
order for you to know there is mail there I think.

Better, for me, is to run a local dovecot server and have Mail
Notifications (Biff etc) monitor THAT inbox using dbus or whatever it is
they use for instant notification.

regards

r.