Re: Reply to self behavior

From: Tommy Kelly
Subject: Re: Reply to self behavior
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:18:55 -0600

Yuri writes:

> You know, I went away from Gnus around 4-5 years ago because my .gnus
> reached >10k. I was fairly proficient back then but figured there *had*
> to be a mail client with those 10k as defaults. Also, I wanted something
> that had GUI written all over it.

That's a lot of .gnus. It sounds like you were a bit of a ninja. Why
give that up simply for a GUI?

For my paert, I previously used Gnus but never with anything like that
kind of .gnus. I moved via Outlook, Evolution, Thunderbird and
eventually to Gmail (via the web interface).

But I've decided to give Gnus another try for two reasons:

1. No matter how far I stray, I keep coming back to wanting a life as
close as possible to plaintext. (I lived in emacs-wiki, then planner,
then muse for while, coming back to org-mode via a foray into OneNote
and EverNote)

2. I've yet to find another client that promises the filtering
(splitting) power of Gnus. Ironically that's where I'm spending most of
my energies, but I know that whatever I want to do is *possible*. More
than can be said for pretty much everything else.

My theory as to why I should try it now when I gave up in the past is
that now I'm more determined to push through this initial learning phase
to get (I hope) to a level of competency where I can at least do
*slightly* better than the other clients I've used, before developing
enough ability to be able to do a *lot* better.

Tommy