help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] mux problem

From: Jens B. Jorgensen
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] mux problem
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:16:24 -0500

Edson Reis wrote:

Hi all,

I'm using vcdimager to built vcd's and svcd's successfully after some trials, but i still have one obscure point:

Afert converting files captured on my dv camera (movies and pitures converted to movies), edited and converted to mpeg 1 or 2 (for vcd's or svcd's), using the (i suppose) right bitrate on them, then i have a problem:

- If i use mplex to join audio and video, the vcd (or svcd) generated by vcdimager does not plays correctlly on
 some standalone DVD's player;

Well, since I only used my own player I'm not sure how good of a datapoint it represents but I used to use mplex to produce SVCDs (in all I probably created about 50 of them) and they worked just dandy in my standalone player, a Pioneer DV 343 if I am recalling correctly what it is. Before that I had a super cheap-o Raite AV-Phile thing which to tell you the truth was a very solid player that handled everything smoothely. It got zapped in a power surge or something and that's when I went to the Pioneer.

- If i use tcmplex to join audio and video, everthing is fine, even if the bitrate is higher and a bit above the
 vcd (or svcd) specification!

To do this tests i've tryed the "worst" players i could get, asking for friends to try to play my medias.

I'm writing this to try to find someone that knows:

- what are the real specification for an vcd (or svcd) and;

The 'real' specifications are not freely available (you have to pay for the standards docs) although with a clever google search you may be able to turn up draft specifications. I happen to own a copy of the svcd spec so if you had a more specific question to ask (what bit rates are allowable etc.) then I could try to answer those questions.

- how to test it - i just play it using xine (actually gxine) and read the botom line or, reading file caracteristics written during multiplexing by tcmplex and mplex (my script generates both);

Sounds like you do know how to test it! ;-) I would burn a copy and give it a try in my player.

I know this is not an vcdimager problem, but i think i affects it's users...

Thanks to anyone that could help.

Edson.