Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page

From: Sebastian Urban
Subject: Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 20:38:40 +0200

>>> I've done it on new chapter pages but haven't worked out how to omit it
>>> for tables of contents yet (commit 4e4ae3084).
>>
>> Thank you.  Of course, I checked it with EMACS.TEXI and it works.
>>
>> As for ToC, maybe you don't have to.  If ToC is at the beginning, it's
>> easy to avoid with custom heading before ToC and "@headings double"
>> after.  If ToC is at the end, probably something similar.  Unless you
>> want it to work out of the box, then... carry on.  I'm happy with
>> current possibilities.
>
> Good to hear it. Thanks for testing it and sending in the reports.

As I found out today, there may be a problem with ToC.  I tested it
with mentioned hack, i.e. custom heading with only page number, then
ToC, then "@headings double".  Other styles may be affected as well.

Simply, when ToC ends on odd-numbered page (right-hand page), the
first page of the doc that follows - usually numbered as "1" - ends up
on even-numbered page (left-hand page).  This causes, with double
sided numeration, headings to switch their places.

As for solution, I can only think about checking if the last page of
ToC is on odd-numbered page and if so, then adding a blank page.  But
what about situation when ToC is at the end of document?  Blank page
there is unnecessary.

Maybe there is a manual way to do this from TEXI source file.  I only
found @page, but this first page after ToC is already on new page,
so... maybe if something like "@page @null @page", was available...

S. U.