Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 23:09:30 +0100

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 04:42:03PM +0200, Sebastian Urban wrote:
> >> Alright, it seems that it affects only custom settings,
> >> (...)
> >> it doesn't happen with only "@headings double" after title page.
> >
> > I managed to get the same result (by editing the *.toc file to end on an
> > odd page).  Note that the headings are correct for the page numbers as
> > printed - the only problem is the mismatch between the page numbers in
> > the file and the printed page numbers in that when one is odd, the other
> > is even, and vice versa.
>
> And this mismatch causes the heading style, that should be on
> right-hand page, to be on left-hand page, and vice versa.
>
> > If somebody was actually printing the manual on paper, they would
> > have to use some other tool to insert a blank page into the document
> > after the table of contents and before the page numbered "1".
>
> Or...

>  @end titlepage
>
>  @evenheading @thispage @| @|
>  @oddheading @| @| @thispage
> +@tex
> +\global\let\contentsalignmacro = \chapoddpage
> +@end tex
>
>  @summarycontents
>  @contents
>
>  @headings double
>
> I don't know if this is the best command to use, but it seems to work,
> i.e. it adds the needed blank page.

Another way is to use

@headings double
@evenheading @thispage @| @|
@oddheading @| @| @thispage

as @evenheading and @oddheading don't change the value of
\contentsalignmacro.  This would avoid hooking into internal
definitions.

It would be easy to always start page 1 on an odd page in the document
after the contents, and sometimes have an blank page.  This would also
eliminate another potential problem: if "@headings doubleafter" is used
later on in a document, then odd printed page numbers would match with
odd pages in the document.  However, it's not great to have a blank page
there if you are just reading a PDF on a computer.  If only the
"@headings" command had never been invented; I doubt it is used much,
and the manual says it is rarely used.

My preferred solution at the moment is to blank the document title in
the contents automatically, and to only encourage customising the
headings/footings (with @setchapternewpage, @headings or @*heading or
@*footing) at the very start of the document, or right after the title
page.  I'll look at the patch you sent.

I don't know why @headings doubleafter/singleafter were invented.  They
were present in texinfo.tex version 2.72 from 1991.  The only older
version of texinfo.tex I can check is 1.26 from 1988, where it wasn't
present.  The main difference is from @headings double/single is that
the page number is not reset to 1.