Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page

From: Sebastian Urban
Subject: Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 19:26:51 +0200

> I don't know why the heading customization was added in the first place
> but I imagine it would be used for people proof-reading drafts (as
> mentioned in the manual). This is a different use to looking good for a
> user.  It has never supported blank headings for chapter pages only.

Well, if so (the proof-reading usage), I can leave the idea of
making it the default behaviour, but there is still place for them as
"hidden" possibility.

If someone ask, it's easier to point him to place in code, or just
tell him to use e.g. "@thissectionheading", instead of describing
where to go in TEXINFO.TEX and what to change.  The possibility will
be waiting.

> Changing nothing here is the least disruptive choice.  We do not
> want to add a lot of customization options for PDF output,
> especially if there is not much demand for it from users.  The main
> thing is to have a sensible default.

If not default, these additional commands with "heading" appended to
them, or any other name, can be "hidden" options, so it would not
change anything.  Someone would have to use them with premeditation.

S. U.

P.S.  It's related, so I'll ask here, could you make "@thistitle" used
by predefined headings like "@headings double", to NOT appear on new
chapter pages, as well as e.g. short contents, table of contents (all
pages of them)?