Re: Instructions for Installing BLAS and LAPACK library on Octave 5.2.0

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Instructions for Installing BLAS and LAPACK library on Octave 5.2.0
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 09:59:22 -0400

  • Downloading Octave 5.2.0-64 bit executable from the official GNU Octave website(https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html#ms-windows) for Win 10
  • Installing the same and checking with the default OPENBLAS library.
  • Assigning the value for the environment variable  OPENBLAS_NUM_THREADS = "the number of processors we need to utilize"

The second step is not necessary. Otherwise yes.

Ian

 Do you mean the installing or assigning step?  In my default config zip install, OPENBLAS_NUM_THREADS was empty.  I set it to different values from 1-4 since I have a 4 core machine, and didn't notice any real difference running that test routine you posted.  i extended the 1e8 to 2e8 and 1e9 to get meaningful runtimes, but there seemed to be no difference changing the value of that option.  in all cases multiple cores were taxed on execution.  It's a managed machine so I don't have Process Explorer to actually verify the thread count, so maybe other things are happening that I'm not noticing.