Re: testing binary of octave-3.3.91 (mingw32) is uploaded

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: testing binary of octave-3.3.91 (mingw32) is uploaded
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 18:19:48 -0500

On  2-Feb-2011, fork wrote:

| John W. Eaton <jwe <at> octave.org> writes:
|
| > What does
| > "C-x k" tell you it is bound to?
|
| How would I tell?

If you type C-x k (two characters, C-x and k), you should get a list
of all the keybindings.  Look in the list for "quoted-insert".  On my
system, it says

  quoted-insert can be found on "\C-q", "\C-v".

| > Maybe C-q?
|
| C-q seems to work like what I expect C-v to do:  "C-q 1" gives "1", while "C-q
| C-q" gives "^q".  "C-q <up-arrow>" gives "^P" (these are control characters --
| can't edit the ^ by itself..)

Then if you add

  $if Octave
  "\C-p": history-search-backward
  $endif

does the up arrow behave as you expect?

The disadvantage the arrow key sending C-p is that you won't be able
to use C-p for previous-history, though maybe this won't matter much
to you since history-search-backward works like previous-history if
the cursor is at the beginning of the line.

jwe