Re: "Unknown partition table signature" when installing GRUB onto EXT2

From: Michael Evans
Subject: Re: "Unknown partition table signature" when installing GRUB onto EXT2 floppy
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:13:30 -0700

You probably copied your menu.lst from your hard drive.  You should modify the entries on the floppy accordingly.

Here's one of my system's examples:

title=Gentoo Linux - gentoo-31-gentoo - initramfs
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.31-gentoo udev vga=0x305
initrd /boot/initramfs

The key points to understand here are that each entry has a 'root ' specification which tells grub where to find the files that are described.  EVERY FILE AFTER THAT is RELATIVE to the 'root' of that file-system.

In my example it literally looks for the '5th' partition on disk zero (sda5), then looks for the file boot/... within that file-system.  Since the file-system in question is normally mounted on /boot after mounting that file must be found in /boot/boot/... That's what the symlink to . named boot accomplished in my prior email.  It effectively turns boot/ within that file-system in to a no-op; thus making things easier for normal users, as long as they don't need to set things up again like you are.