RE: Delete Help Window - restore window config

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Delete Help Window - restore window config
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 09:02:20 -0800 (PST)

> Drew has talked about his icicles mode before, gotta check that one
> out closely as it may have further utility for me.....

Whether you find that it does or not, individual features like key
completion can serve (and have served) as food for thought for
other developments (in vanilla Emacs or other packages, or even in
your init file).

Just thinking about such a feature can sometimes inspire other,
different (possibly better) implementations and similar (possibly
better) features.

In this case, for example, if you find that Icicles is not
something that you want to use in general, perhaps you would find
the similar-sounding feature provided by `guide-key.el' useful.
Or perhaps you or someone else will be inspired to write a different
key-completion feature that you find preferable.

Personally, I am more interested in the possibilities of interesting,
maybe-useful features than in any particular package that implements
them.

(And whenever vanilla Emacs adopts a reasonable replacement for
something I use, whether I wrote it or found it elsewhere, I am
happy to be able to no longer use the non-vanilla code.)

Many of the features that Icicles introduced have since found their
way into other libraries (Helm, for one).  That's a good thing, not
a bad thing.  Experimentation by users and implementors can only
give us all more, and better possibilities.