Re: Using the same custom file in two different OSes

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Using the same custom file in two different OSes
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 20:42:43 +0100

>> That works, but I've observed that each time I save any customization,
>> my custom file is regenerated with _all_ the customization loaded at
>> that time, and the platform-specific stuff that I removed from my
>> custom file is then reinserted.
>
> That should not happen.  If that is the case then it is likely because your
> custom file was restored to its original state after the session where you
> modified it.  Try modifying it in a separate session - even an emacs -Q
> session.
>
> Check your custom file after you have quit the Emacs session where you
> modified
> it.  You need to have it be as you wanted it: without the stuff you removed.
>
> You might need to fiddle a bit, to ensure that.  Once that is the case, the
> stuff you removed will never be added again.

Mmmm I'm afraid I'm unable to keep my custom file free of my
platform-specific stuff. I've just seen this behavior:
1. I remove the `default' and `variable-pitch' lines from my custom file.
2. I exit Emacs, start it again and verify that my custom file doesn't
have the lines I removed.  Note that this session has loaded my init
file, which first loads my custom file and then makes the
platform-specific customization (in that order).
3. I do some customization (change the box-width property of the
`mode-line' face, for example), and save it (C-x C-s).
4. I reopen my custom file and see that the two lines I removed in #1
have been reinserted.

Changing the order (first do the platform-specific customization and
the load the custom file) doesn't help.  The custom file is
regenerated (when I save any customization) entirely, including the
`default' and `variable-pitch' faces.

--
Dani Moncayo