Re: Using the same custom file in two different OSes

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Using the same custom file in two different OSes
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 00:00:04 +0100

>> Mmmm I'm afraid I'm unable to keep my custom file free of my
>> platform-specific stuff.
>
> See whether custom-file (a variable) can do something for you!
>
> One thing is sure: the custom-set-variables and custom-set-faces can only
> exist once. For GNU Emacs (not the file system). So I have one single body
> which then loads via (load custom-file) the customisations for different GNU
> Emacs versions. They have names à la ~/.emacs-Abrichtung-<emacs version>.el –
> but it could be OS specific as well.
>
> Practical hint: move all your customisation in one version of custom-file.
> Copy this file to the other variants. Then edit these variants on the
> specific platforms via GNU Emacs' customisation interface!

Thanks, that would be one possible solution, but as I said in the
initial post, I don't want to have redundancy (i.e. several custom
files), because I want to be able to tweak some customization in one
machine/OS and have the resulting customization automatically applied
to the other machine/OS.

--
Dani Moncayo