Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 02:46:06 +0000 (UTC)

In article <slrnbd1sfl.2fng.phil+s3@bolthole.com>,
Philip Brown <phil+s3@bolthole.no-bots.com> wrote:
>FYI: there are now binaries of emacs 21.3, for solaris 8 and later, on
>mirror sites of www.blastwave.org

Since I've already got the sources downloaded,
and I'll probably soon have it "made" ok,
I probably won't get the blastwave "binary"
(actually, solaris "package"?).

But  a question:

Suppose in a case like this, you like the current
version ok, but want to try the new one.

However, in case it's not so great after all,
I'd want to keep using the OLD one.

Looking at the blastwave page, it implies (says
right out!) that the new one gets installed
OVER the old one -- the old one would be GONE,
no?

So, first question: how to be able to restore
the "old" one?

Second question (similar): Suppose you want
to *compare* how they run'; you want to
be able to run either one, or, for emacs,
have both running at the same time, switching
between via switching from one (cde) window
to another.

How to do that?

Thanks!

David