Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:44:51 +0000 (UTC)

In article <pan.2003.05.20.21.03.12.709422@yahoo.com>,
Dave Uhring <daveuhring@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 20 May 2003 15:53:59 -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
>
>> Looks like you've got problems with libXaw3d.
>>
>> You should look for xaw3d in /etc/PROBLEMS. Here is what I found:
>>
>> "
>> * On systems with shared libraries you might encounter run-time errors
>> from the dynamic linker telling you that it is unable to find some
>> shared libraries, for instance those for Xaw3d or image support.
>> These errors mean Emacs has been linked with a library whose shared
>> library is not in the default search path of the dynamic linker.
>
>Solaris is an ELF system.  The library search path is supposed to be in
>the headers of the binary.  It gets put there by using the proper LDFLAGS
>during the compile time link.

Thanks to you two for explaining that.

Where do I find actual documentation on what an ELF system is?
First time I've seen the word.
(There's always google, but maybe someone knows the "best"
doc, right off.)

>[emacs-21.3]$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH $LD_RUN_PATH
>
>[emacs-21.3]$ ldd src/emacs-21.3.1

Likewise, thanks for the above new-to-me info --
never before heard of LD_RUN_PATH, nor of ldd.  Thanks!

>        libXm.so.4 =>    /usr/dt/lib/libXm.so.4
>        libgen.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libgen.so.1
>        libmp.so.2 =>    /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
>        /usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-1/lib/libc_psr.so.1
>

>> Similar problems could prevent Emacs from building, since the build
>> process invokes Emacs several times.

With my having to delve through several levels of makefiles,
maybe you could explain why making an (untested) emacs requires
running emacs itself.  If not for testing, are they using
emacs (specially-written) functions to actually build
things that get included in the final emacs itself?
Whatever, if not just testing, it sounds clever.

-------- Please, could one or more explain the below
back-and-forth?  Sounds good, but said to be wrong???

>> On many systems, it is possible to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your
>> environment to specify additional directories where shared libraries
>> can be found.

>> Other systems allow to set LD_RUN_PATH in a similar way, but before
>> Emacs is linked.  With LD_RUN_PATH set, the linker will include a
>> specified run-time search path in the executable.
>
>Completely unnecessary.  Learn something about the OS before posting such
>nonsense.
>
>> Hope that helps,
>
>It merely confuses and confounds the misimpressions you Linux users have
>about UNIX.

Thanks so much!

David