help-flex

Re: mailing list moderation

From: Hans Aberg
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 01:21:15 +0100

On 12 Mar 2006, at 21:56, Josh wrote:

A good spam filter, the way I suggested, is better (see below).

That works for us subscribers, but it leaves the help-flex archives a
mess.

You probably did not read the suggestion to hide spam-classified mail away in the archives, too. The way I have arranged with my mail, is that it is even sorted into a special mailbox. I can then from time to time, typically every couple of months, determine spam classification mistakes by merely scanning the subjects. Checking a thousand mails this way, takes less then ten minutes.

I think that probably discourages new individuals from signing
up.

A spammed archive certainly does. I rarely look into these archives, just using the mail I get from the list, which by my method becomes essentially spam-free. But I checked some GNU archive, and it was shockingly spammed.

Personally, I like the idea of just closing the list to
non-subscribers, which would do away with both spam mail and random
questions from people who never come back to check for a response.

The problem is that folks won't post then, loosing essential development information.

But I've agreed to act as human spam filter for the time being.

Before I used the system I describe, I had a hard time with all the daily spam, which could runs in several tens a day. But now, only a few one slips through. Funnily, mostly comes from Help-Flex list, and most is phishing mail, which I report to <address@hidden>.

  Hans Aberg