help-flex

Re: mailing list moderation

From: Karl Berry
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:50:49 -0600

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the answer.

    RMS wants GNU lists to be open to non-subscribers, I think,

You are most definitely right, but this does not imply that mail from
anywhere has to be passed on.  My original message implied that people
would have to subscribe to post, I see now, which I didn't intend.
Sorry about that.

Anyway, mailman has a simple and effective way to handle it, namely to
hold requests from nonsubscribers.  A human can then approve the real
messages.  That's where the moderation comes in.  Would you have any
time to help?  It amounts to a couple of minutes a day.

We are already doing this now for dozens of lists.  The work involved is
minimal, since we have a background system that autodeletes most of the
spam (and there are checks for real messages being wrongly identified as
spam, etc.).

Thanks,
Karl