help-debbugs

Re: Mail processing problem on debbugs?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Mail processing problem on debbugs?
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 15:32:18 -0600

Hi Glenn,

Glenn Morris wrote:
> > 2) Extract the missing mails as individual mbox files.
> > 3) Insert each into /var/lib/debbugs/spool/incoming/ as a file named
> > "I<code><number>.datestamp".
>
> Actually, forget what I said about step 3, it's easier than that.
> For each mbox, just do (as the Debian-debbugs user):
>
> /usr/lib/debbugs/receive < file.mbox

I have extracted the messages that I think are the missing messages.
I sent some direct mail to Glenn with other details that included more
than I wanted to send here for various reasons.  Hopefully that will
make sense to Glenn that I was doing the right things for a crosscheck.

What user needs to run the /usr/lib/debbugs/receive as?  Is that a
root run user or a special non-root user?

Your test message is this file.

  /home/rwp/missing-messages/new/1585512393.2152_599.madness

Should we try this?  (Moving it first so that it is not in the
collection for the next step, if it works.)  And adjusting to run as
the correct user that is needed for it.

  mv /home/rwp/missing-messages/new/1585512393.2152_599.madness /tmp/
  /usr/lib/debbugs/receive < /tmp/1585512393.2152_599.madness

??

And then if that works run this for loop on the collection to do the
import?  Again, adjusting as needed to run as the right user?

for f in /home/rwp/missing-messages/new/*; do
  /usr/lib/debbugs/receive < $f
done

Glenn, If so and agree and think that is the answer then please spot
check and then go ahead with the import.  I am just hoping I collected
the right files.  (My spot check shows that the message I sent was in
the collection.  So looks good on that point.)

Thanks!
Bob