help-debbugs

Re: Mail processing problem on debbugs?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Mail processing problem on debbugs?
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 12:06:56 -0600

Glenn Morris wrote:

> > 1) why did this happen? Some transient problem, or...?
>
> Looks like people have been sending mail to ###-reopen, which gets
> converted to -reopen, which fails. I have never tried to reopen a bug in
> this way. I always use the control address. I don't know if ###-reopen
> is supposed to work, but it seems like it doesn't, and is in fact a
> great way to do a DOS attack...

    https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer

    Messages can be sent to the following addresses in order to be
    filed in the bug tracking system:

    address@hidden — such messages are also sent to the package
        maintainer and forwarded to debian-bugs-dist, but not to the
        submitter;
    address@hidden — these are also sent to the
        submitter and forwarded to debian-bugs-dist, but not to the
        package maintainer;
    address@hidden — these are only sent to the package
        maintainer, not to the submitter or debian-bugs-dist;
    address@hidden — these are only filed in the bug
        tracking system (as are all the above), not sent to anyone else.

I do not see nnn-reopen among that list.

> I might set mailman to reject such messages.

I think that would be a good thing.  Since it is a non-existent address.

> I see mailman-owner is aliased to me and listhelper.

listhelper is the anti-spam robot so no human reads that mail and
sends cancels to Mailman.

> I will add the other sysadmin addresses.

Sounds good.

Bob