h-source-users

[H-source-users] recognized/accepted distros

From: bill-auger
Subject: [H-source-users] recognized/accepted distros
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 16:12:00 -0400

On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 18:42:49 +0200 Denis wrote:

> Adding all FSDG distributions (including LibreCMC and Replicant) would
> also be a good idea.

the client's list, as it is, could use an update anyways

> self.allowedDistros = OrderedDict((
>   ('blag_140000'   , 'BLAG 140000'                      ) ,
>   ('debian'        , 'Debian GNU/Linux Testing/Unstable') ,
>   ('debian_6'      , 'Debian GNU/Linux 6 squeeze'       ) ,
>   ('debian_7'      , 'Debian GNU/Linux 7 wheezy'        ) ,
>   ('debian_8'      , 'Debian GNU/Linux 8 jessie'        ) ,
>   ('gnewsense_4_0' , 'gNewSense 4.0 Ucclia'             ) ,
>   ('guix_0_10'     , 'GuixSD 0.10'                      ) ,
>   ('parabola'      , 'Parabola GNU/Linux'               ) ,
>   ('trisquel_6_0'  , 'Trisquel 6.0 Toutatis'            ) ,
>   ('trisquel_7_0'  , 'Trisquel 7.0 Belenos'             ) )

to me, the peculiar thing that jumps out of that list, is that
there is not much reason to specify distro release numbers - if
it works on 'distro N', it will work on 'distro N+1' also -
there may as well be only one of each

there no reason not to add some others as well - AFAIK, gentoo
still has a libre-only option too - the deciding factor is the
kernel anyways - h-node is as relevant to anyone running
linux-libre or the debian kernel; and at least one of those those
is readily available for most every distro

this is probably more of a server-side issue anyway - for the
client, it is only relevant, which distro the client is running
on - as it is only python, GTK, and curl, it could be run on any
distro - it could also be packaged for pip in the python repos