gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Re: [Gzz-commits] gzz/doc/pegboard 1008/PEG_1008.rst 1009/PEG_

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Re: [Gzz-commits] gzz/doc/pegboard 1008/PEG_1008.rst 1009/PEG_100...
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 18:32:07 +0200

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 08:21:46PM +0200, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
But then, in the fisheye case, if I draw a rectangle, why's it *distorted* in the end? I mean, it's just taking four points; they may not yield a rectangle when connected, but the lines should be straight, not distorted? -- Yet, if this is the case, the fisheye doesn't really fulfill its purpose, does it?

No, see, the point is that the fisheye is then transforming the *parent*
coordinate system. I.e. instead of having everything scaled according to
the root coordinate system, we use the fisheye.

I don't understand. What does this have to do with it? Maybe I didn't make my point clear. If you just transform the four corners of the rectangle (as you said that coordsys are only for transforming points, the render code decides what to do with it), then connect them using straight lines, the lines won't be curved in the end.

But basically, the point is that we've had these semantics in gl earlier (the scale defines the size of things, esp. boxes), and it was so difficult to work with. I simply don't want to continue working in this system.

The reason it was difficult was that we didn't have all the parts.
The really important part that was missing was a call like

        cs3 = coordsys_at(cs1, cs2, 0.3, 0.3)

which would create a coordsys which is a translation inside cs1, but whose
center
is always at the point (0.3, 0.3) of cs2.
This is what I've been trying to explain.

Yes, that could be good indeed. Sorry, but I had no *clue* even at the direction of this before ;-)

We'll see, I'm now interested to see this...

- Benja