gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Re: [Gzz-commits] gzz/doc/pegboard 1008/PEG_1008.rst 1009/PEG_

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Re: [Gzz-commits] gzz/doc/pegboard 1008/PEG_1008.rst 1009/PEG_100...
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:21:59 +0300

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 08:21:46PM +0200, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> Tuomas Lukka wrote:
>
> >Ok, maybe the problem is that you're now thinking of scaling the coordinate
> >system as scaling the image. This not the point here. The point is that
> >coordinate systems give everything coordinates but the rendering code
> >decides what to do with them.
> >

> Ok, I'll try to see it from that perspective.
>
> But then, in the fisheye case, if I draw a rectangle, why's it
> *distorted* in the end? I mean, it's just taking four points; they may
> not yield a rectangle when connected, but the lines should be straight,
> not distorted? -- Yet, if this is the case, the fisheye doesn't really
> fulfill its purpose, does it?

No, see, the point is that the fisheye is then transforming the *parent*
coordinate system. I.e. instead of having everything scaled according to
the root coordinate system, we use the fisheye.

> But basically, the point is that we've had these semantics in gl earlier
> (the scale defines the size of things, esp. boxes), and it was so
> difficult to work with. I simply don't want to continue working in this
> system.

The reason it was difficult was that we didn't have all the parts.
The really important part that was missing was a call like

        cs3 = coordsys_at(cs1, cs2, 0.3, 0.3)

which would create a coordsys which is a translation inside cs1, but whose
center
is always at the point (0.3, 0.3) of cs2.

This is what I've been trying to explain.

There's something really really important here, I can't explain it fully, but
trust me: this system will work. I'll prove it.

        Tuomas