gwl-devel

Re: Getting started with GWL 0.3.0

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Getting started with GWL 0.3.0
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 14:16:48 +0100

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> writes:

> In the long run, maybe a command spell-checker would be a nice way out.
> Some piece of software that decides, based on my command history,
> whether a command I type is more likely a typo or the intention to run
> some exotic software.

This would need more work to allow replacement of Guix commands with an
extension.  For example, I may want to use an extension that replaces
“guix deploy” with a variant that can deploy to AWS, falling back to the
default “guix deploy” for all other deployments.

We should not prevent this use case, so at the very least this needs to
be configurable (though I’d be happier if we could come up with a
configuration-free solution).

A configuration-free alternative could be “guix ext pull” to explicitly
select the extension named “pull”.  There can be no conflicts with this
scheme, but it’s more work to type.

--
Ricardo