gwl-devel

Re: Getting started with GWL 0.3.0

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Getting started with GWL 0.3.0
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 18:34:44 +0100

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> writes:

>> Unfortunately, my first attempt didn't get very far:
>>
>>    $ guix workflow run hello.w
>>    guix: workflow: command not found
>>    Try `guix --help' for more information.
>
> That was with Guix installed under Ubuntu. Today I tried on a VM
> running Guix System. Result: the same.
>
> So... how do you all actually use GWL? Should I try to build/run
> from source? I don't see any instructions for that either, nor
> any pointer to the source repo.

I should add this to the manual.  Here’s what I do:

$ guix install gwl
$ export GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH=$HOME/.guix-profile/share/guix/extensions/
$ guix workflow --help
Usage: guix workflow

Subcommands:
  graph     Visualize a workflow
  run       Run a workflow
  web       Start the web interface

The Guix Workflow Language (GWL) is a scientific computing extension to the Guix
package manager.  It combines the specification of work units and their
relationship to one another with the reproducible software deployment facilities
of the functional package manager GNU Guix.  A GWL workflow will always run in a
reproducible environment that GNU Guix automatically prepares.  The GWL extends
your Guix installation with a single new sub-command: guix workflow.
$

Before you get too enthusiastic about the GWL, though, I’d like to note
that 0.3.0 has a few known bugs that are already fixed in the
repository.  I’ve been putting off making a new release until either
Guile-AWS or Guile-DRMAA are ready and usable with the GWL.

--
Ricardo