guix-devel

Re: MIPS support

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: MIPS support
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 10:01:22 +0300

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 12:12:24AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 06:27:31PM +0200, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> >> From the manual or from the CI, to let the build farm do more useful things
> >> I'm not against, but is it really making maintenance difficult by still
> >> being in
> >> the codebase ?
> >
> > It's not really a maintenance burden currently since we don't actually
> > build or maintain the Guix on MIPS at all.
> >
> > I think this discussion is evidence that people find the situation a bit
> > confusing. When I am looking into a project, I find it demotivating to
> > read documentation about features that may or may not work — it's best
> > when the documentation accurately reflects what the software can do.
>
> Right, that was my point: let’s remove mentions of MIPS from the manual
> and from ‘configure.ac’ so people have the right expectations.
>
> Thoughts?

So change it so that mips needs '--with-courage' but not remove the
bootstrap binaries from the code? Do we want to fully remove the mention
of mips as a supported platform or change it to "in the past we had an
active mips64el port which is in need of more attention to bring it back
to a fully supported platform. Help wanted!"

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר