guix-devel

Re: MIPS support

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: MIPS support
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 13:35:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 6 May 2020, Vincent Legoll wrote:

Hello,

In the intervening years, interest faded away as free software friendly
MIPS hardware became more rare.

I grabbed a gnubee during the crowdfunding campaign, but the CPU
is too low spec to do a lot of compilation on it.

I also have a gnubee, and would love to be able to put Guix on it. However, so far I haven't put much time into getting it working. It would certainly be more fun to work on it with others :)

My impression is that the the gnubee is a different class of MIPS than the current port. I think that the gnubee is a SoC that is is targeted at home routers and is 32-bit, while the current port is 64-bit and targeted at chips like the longsoon. Is that correct?

There seems to be a a fair amount of the router-class hardware available that works with Free Software, but not much, if any, of the latter, more powerful hardware. Unfortunately, I think having the more powerful hardware available would make it much easier to work on the port.

[…]

What do people think?

I may not be able to put huge time in it so won't ask you to keep it
just for me.

I'll restart working / trying things in the foreign archs area after my
list of pending things is drained a bit (guix-install.sh & tarball CI,
native-inputs lint warning chasing) but that's only wishful thinking
for now.

I feel similarly. It's always sad to see things go (I used to have a collection of SPARC hardware, but let it go when I moved a few years ago), but no need to keep it just for me.

Vincent, it sounds like there are at least two of us. Maybe we can work together.

Best,
Jack