guix-devel

Re: MIPS support

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: MIPS support
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 09:15:29 +0300

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 11:20:45PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > Here's a first draft at removing mips64el-linux support from the
> > documentation. I've left it as a supported system in (gnu ci), in (guix
> > packages) and in the tests. I changed the text where we mention that we
> > support mips64el-linux as an architecture, and elsewhere in the manual
> > I've either removed mention of it when it was listed as a supported
> > target or changed the references to aarch64.
>
> The patch LGTM!
>
> (gnu ci) refers to the cross-compilation target, which is fine, we can
> keep it.
>
> However, I think you can remove “mips64el-linux” from
> ‘%supported-systems’ in (guix packages), especially given the comment
> above it, and you can adjust ‘%hydra-supported-systems’ accordingly.

The problem with removing it from %supported-systems is we have a number
of packages which already explicitly remove it from the list.

How about instead we rename %supported-systems to
%linux-systems, add mips64el to a new %deprecated-systems and turn
%supported-systems into a combination of %linux-systems,
%deprecated-systems and %hurd-systems.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר