guix-devel

Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: Alexander Vdolainen
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 00:45:33 +0300

On 10/12/19 9:43 PM, Taylan Kammer wrote:
> On 12.10.2019 01:04, Jelle Licht wrote:
>> Taylan Kammer <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> [snip]
(skipped)

> Going by this logic, we could ban support of communism based on things
> done by the Soviet or things currently done by the People's Republic of
> China or North Korea.
just to be more detailed - it's not a pure communism, it's some form of
communism-based authoritarian way. (btw, communism sucks anyway)

> There are many religious people who think homosexuality is "wrong" but
> strongly disagree with violence, and rather feel "worried for" gay
> people who they also try to treat with love.  I think they are very
> wrong about homosexuality, but I find it commendable that they don't
> tolerate violence, and could not in good conscience call them evil and
> request them to be silenced.  In fact, I would not enjoy contributing to
> a community that does so.
I'm not religious one, however I suppose homosexuality is wrong (or it's
some kind of disease to limit population with malformed genes). BUT, I
will *never* oppose them just because they are wrong some kind.
Moreover, I do *not* care about it. And I do *not* support any movement
against homosexuality. BUT, I do *not* support any movement supporting
this, especially those who are using dirty methods such as we can
observe right now (against RMS I mean), and going further - those
methods are going to looks like a pure fascism against normal people.

> IMO the tabooing of world views based on harms they may cause, or harms
> they do cause in various parts of the world, is a slippery slope.
> Almost every ideology has peaceful moderates and militant extremists.
>
> The GNU project should publish a list of ideologies that are officially
> banned from its channels so people know what they're in for.  All other
> topics should be treated neutrally so long as nobody is using slurs or a
> bullying attitude.  Codes of conduct should clarify whether a rule such
> as "no homophobia" simply means no homophobic slurs/bullying, or whether
> it means that certain ideologies are banned and others favored.
GNU is a technical community - and as a community shouldn't care about
someone's politics view or homosexuality. It should be neutral for such
things.

--
Alexander Vdolainen,
Evil contractor.