guix-devel

Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: Jelle Licht
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 01:04:24 +0200

Taylan Kammer <address@hidden> writes:

> [snip]
>
> All other political conflicts should IMO be decided on a case by case
> basis with the goal of reaching mutual compromise within the confines of
> the communication channels of the GNU project.  That is, 1. no favorites
> on who gets to silence who and 2. the silencing shall be limited to the
> project's communication channels.  For example let's take homosexuality
> and religion.  A gay community member could request another member to
> refrain from expressing religious views critical of homosexuality within
> the project's communication channels, as it offends her or him.  On the
> flip side, a religious person could request another member to refrain
> from expressing political views in support of normalizing homosexuality
> within society, because that in turn offends them.

The difference being that in this example, the bigotry can have
disastrous effects on the safety of the individuals in question, sadly
still in many places in the world.

This is in no shape or way comparable to simply "being offended". To
equate it to a simple difference of opinion does a great injustice to
those who struggle, and have struggled in the past for the right to
simply exist as they are.

I understand this is simply an example, and will give you the benefit of
the doubt that you only meant to illustrate different perspectives on
the interactions that can exist between individuals. I respectfully
disagree with it being a good example though :-)

- Jelle