guix-devel

Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: Wilson Bustos
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 13:46:44 -0400

P,
The problem is when that politics gets extreme.
For example at the point to change the rules of a human language just for politics reason.

The guixSD Spanish manual for example says : 'la usuaria' to refer to every user

But in Spanish 'la usuaria' only refers to a female user, and 'el usuario' refer to every user, a male or both to be more exact.

The rules to create a gender neutral language in the manual in some languages as the Spanish is not possible, because there is not way to achieve that in Spanish at least.

But also the the new rule is creating a 'feminist languaje' due to 'la usuaria' is only for woman's

The reason to do that is only political, the argument is the woman's feels not get represented when you says 'el usuario'.
But in the real world, only a feminist person can say that.

The translation work should be translate a lenguaje to another, not create a new languaje' to accommodate your political ideas.

Don't you think that is extreme?

Regards

El sáb., 12 de octubre de 2019 13:37, P <address@hidden> escribió:
On Saturday, October 12, 2019 5:22 PM, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> -   František Kučera address@hidden [2019-10-12 19:13]:

> > > GNU projects should be feminist
> >
> > It is not clear whether current troubles are linked to feminism or other
> > *ism or just interests of some corporations. But what is clear is that
> > different people have naturally and constantly different opinions on
> > various *isms. And the point is that mixing *isms into the free software
> > development, will cause community breakdown. We would be spending time
> > with pointless quarrels (as you can see right now) instead of developing
> > useful free software for everybody (freedom 0).
>
> It is dividing the community.
>
> Jean

If "women should be welcome in tech" is a step too far for you, then you are too whiny to be useful in tech.

And technology is ALWAYS political. If you think otherwise, you are naive to an almost childish level.

Funny how politics in tech are not a problem to you people when it's politics you already agree with. But now you have to make a tiny sacrifice, improve just a teensy bit as a human being, and suddenly you're scared.

And if the divide is between "people who want free software to be inclusive" and "people who don't want their leaders to be held responsible" then I welcome that divide.