guix-devel

Re: Translation of the Guix manual & node names

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Translation of the Guix manual & node names
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 23:59:00 +0200

Le Tue, 23 Apr 2019 23:48:13 +0200,
Miguel <address@hidden> a écrit :

> El Tue, 23 Apr 2019 15:52:19 +0200
> Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> escribió:
> > Le Tue, 23 Apr 2019 15:33:32 +0200,
> > Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> a écrit :
> >
> > > Hello Miguel & Meiyo,
>
> Hi!
>
> > > Thanks a lot for your translations of the Guix manual!
>
> Thank you too for your effort and kindness.
>
> > > (...)
> > > If we look at these, you both translated, for example, the
> > > “Packaging Guidelines” string.  However, you also left, in your
> > > translations, things like address@hidden Guidelines}”.
> > > (...)
> > No, we have a small script that takes care of this. As long as the
> > node name is translated somewhere near the beginning of the file, it
> > is also automatically translated in the rest of the file. So that
> > shouldn't cause an issue. Maybe there's an error in the script?
> >
> > Look at xref_command in doc/local.mk
> >
> > Also look at fr.po, I haven't translated most of the node names.
>
> It took me some time getting that, by example from fr.po, of course,
> but I think there are some errors or warnings related when you do it
> wrong. AFAIK the only problem are some @ref or @xref entries that
> contain the link and some text, that actually must be translated. I
> have to double check them this week on the translation.
>
> > > Could you please translate all the node names, and make sure that
> > > all the cross-reference commands use the same names?  (The plan is
> > > to release Guix 1.0 in one week, so it would be great if you could
> > > send an updated PO file by then!)
>
> I hope having more than only the node names this week. Pretty sure it
> won't be the full translation, but I hope reaching 70% at least for
> 1.0. We'll see...

The attached python script (it requires python and python-polib) might
get you closer by automatically translating some very common strings.

So you have to change these lines:

regexps.append([re.compile('English regexp'), 'Translate string'])

#1, #2 etc. are replaced by the content of the matches in the English
regexp.

I don't know if you'll use it, but I hope it will be of some help to
you. Good luck with the translation!