guix-devel

Re: Translation of the Guix manual & node names

From: Meiyo Peng
Subject: Re: Translation of the Guix manual & node names
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 02:11:23 +0800

Hi Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello Miguel & Meiyo,
>
> Thanks a lot for your translations of the Guix manual!
>
> I found an issue with the translations that prevents us from including
> them:
>
>   https://translationproject.org/latest/guix-manual/es.po
>   https://translationproject.org/latest/guix-manual/zh_CN.po
>
> If we look at these, you both translated, for example, the “Packaging
> Guidelines” string.  However, you also left, in your translations,
> things like address@hidden Guidelines}”.
>
> Texinfo has a notion of “node” (roughly a node is a chapter, section, or
> sub-section.)  Each node has a name that can be used in cross-references
> commands @ref, @xref, or @pxref.  However, Texinfo errors out when a
> cross-reference command refers to a non-existent node name.
>
> What happens in your case is that there is no “Packaging Guidelines”
> node—instead, it’s called “Guías de empaquetamiento” or “打包指导”.
> Thus, Texinfo fails to build the translated manual.

The zh_CN version guix manual that I uploaded earlier is a test with the
TranslationProject.org robot.  It's not supposed to be used as a
suitable translation.  I should have notified you in the mailing list.

I will improve the manual gradually.  As I said before, I have no
experience with i18n.  I only learned the usage of @ref, @xref and
@pxref until yesterday.  And there are still many new things to learn.

> Could you please translate all the node names, and make sure that all
> the cross-reference commands use the same names?  (The plan is to
> release Guix 1.0 in one week, so it would be great if you could send an
> updated PO file by then!)
>
> I’m attaching the complete list of node names below; “Top” is an
> exception, it must _not_ be translated.

OK.  I will do my best.  However, my translation progress will be slow.
It's 02:00 in China now and I am still in my office working on my job!
I won't have much time recently, but I will do as much as I can.

I feel excited for the Guix 1.0 release and also regret that I cannot
translate the Guix manual before that date.  The translation work can be
finished in two or three months, I guess.  It's extremely difficult to
translate technical English manuals into Chinese.  Many technical
English words has no suitable Chinese translation.  Besides, I have
never ever used a Chinese version GNU/Linux distro or ever read the
Chinese version manuals, so I am unfamiliar with the corresponding
Chinese words.  This makes the translation work even harder for me.
However, I am sure a bundled Chinese manual in the Guix 1.0 release
tarball or ISO file won't matter much.  We can release an updated
Chinese manual on our website later.  The web version will be what most
people will use.

Thank you for your understanding.

--
Meiyo Peng